Didn’t Wait for Victory. Fought for It.

Didn’t Wait for Victory. Fought for It.


In the one-hour drive to my college destination, sometimes my goals seemed too far-fetched. At times like these all my life, I thought about the social change I wanted to create; I knew my effort would be worthwhile.

Three years ago, I graduated with a bachelor's degree in Business Information and Communication Technology. This moment was especially exciting because of the challenges I have overcome in all the steps of my learning journey, starting at the age of 4.

At the time, I was living in a refugee camp after my family was forced to leave our home in Rwanda. I left home every morning when my brother and sister went to school. I would spend the morning looking at the entire refugee camp looking for pieces of news. At the end of the day, I shared my story with my sister, and instead she told me what she had learned in school. I could not bear the challenges my high school friends faced: They were beaten almost every afternoon because they would lose the cups they had to carry to get porridge at school.

I knew I had to persuade my parents to let me skip kindergarten and go straight to elementary school. They thought I was too young to go to school; most children did not start until they were 7 years old. The only way I could persuade my parents was to pass a school test and prove that I could start first grade at age 4. When I passed the exam and was admitted to the school, it was the first time I remembered to celebrate victory! I got up and was the first in the class. I continued my high school education and obtained a government scholarship to study at my local university.

In college, my vision for the future began to shape. I learned that I was not the best at communicating with each other, but I excelled at other ways of communicating. I knew that knowledge is power, and I realized that I could use the power of knowledge to save lives. I decided to switch to Technical College - a six-hour walk.

At the time, I had no moral support or financial support to make this change, and I was not sure how I would handle the time to go to my new school. But I persevered and graduated from college of my choice with a higher diploma in Information Technology. I chose to continue my education at a different private university - and this time I had an even stronger view. I am part of a generation that followed the genocide in Rwanda. Our generation had a nation that would rebuild. I have seen friends unprepared for the psychological aspects of raising a child, and I am now a zealous advocate for parental support in raising the next generation.

Ever since I was a young girl wandering in our refugee camp, I have been a messenger. I always brought a harvest to my family friends, or wedding invitations to my siblings, or any other message that needed to be delivered. I realized that I could be a global ambassador: I would use ICT to improve the lives of mothers and children.

My university experience not only sharpened my vision, but also taught me an important lesson - that the path to success is not as straightforward as we think. At this new private university, I had to go to classes during the day, in the evenings and on weekends to get my degree in two years. In addition to my academic commitment, my program coordinator represented me.

He would never stop harassing me. He arranged for me to take three tests at a time. He refused to mark my exam papers for the subjects he was teaching. When I switched to physical education, he told me that I would never graduate unless he left that school. I had to present my final project to other faculty members without his knowledge after canceling my three-day presentation date. I did not understand where to change and what to do.

When I went to pick up my graduation dress, I discovered that my name had been removed from the graduation list. Throughout the year, I had everything I needed to complete my graduation without the instruction of that one person who could put my name on the graduation list. No one could hire me without the required documentation, but I did not quit. I used this time to introduce Cosmos Magazine, an online and online magazine that provides information on maternal and child health for young women and Rwandan mothers. And when I finally got on the graduation list, it was a victory, not only for me, but also for the other students who would benefit from my battle. I almost forgot all the struggles I went through when I saw myself highlighted prominently on the school website celebrating my success.

I am glad I did not give up. I was eventually rewarded for my hard work and dedication. The magazine I started when I was struggling to find a job has grown and expanded into the Cosmos Multimedia Center. We have recently developed an app for health care for pregnant women who send out alerts related to their pregnancy and who can connect them to emergency care and home-based health care services.

Didn’t Wait for Victory. Fought for It.

My success is the result of my lifelong commitment to learning. Today, I am still working hard, and I am on my way to achieving my vision of using technology to save lives.